How to change a day that doesn’t start very good into a great day.
This morning I didn’t wake up in the best mood. Work went on until 8:30 p.m., I couldn’t sleep through the whole night and kept waking up and finally had to get up for work again. After washing my face and thinking about how everything could have turned out differently, I looked at myself and thought that it was all very pathetic.
If I wanted to have a good day, I would have to change my attitude and make it a good day. So I thought I would share what I do to change my negative and bad days into good ones. It might not be what you need exactly (I am definitely not an expert), but it does help me and I hope it inspires you.
Let me just say that I am a morning person; like, I like to wake up at 5 a.m. kind of person. So I finished washing my face and brushing my teeth and then did the following:
1. Love – I have to admit that I am lucky to wake up with the person I love next to me every day. So this morning I hugged him, and told him how much I loved him. Then I let my dogs out to go on a wee, and made sure to hug and kiss them as well. Sometimes it’s easy to forget that our partners and pets love us regardless of our moods… So I tried to remember that throughout the whole day.
2. Take a good shower – Once I let the dogs out, I went back to my bathroom and took a very warm and relaxing shower. I even included relaxing music and a bath oil to it. I love taking baths, but even though I woke up early it still is a work day, so a shower had to do the trick. If you can, it also helps to dim the lights or use candles.
3. Enjoy the summer morning – Colorado has the best summer mornings ever. It was storming like crazy yesterday, including lightning and lots of rain, and yet this morning the sun came out bright and early and I decided to walk the dogs for a good half hour. Just getting that little exercise in, in good company and enjoying a beautiful day can change your mood really quickly. Or at least that helps me.
4. Eat a good breakfast – Tip number 4 is breakfast. Since I wake up so early, I usually am starving at 6:30 a.m. And I loooooooove breakfast. Today I made one of my favorites of the summer season: a bowl of granola with honey and vanilla yogurt, a banana and some cinnamon powder to sweeten it all. It was delicious, it’s so easy to make and it’s light for the hot summer mornings.
5. Wear something you like – I did have to go to the office today, so I thought what better than to wear a cute outfit that is comfy and still keeps me warm in the cold office AC. I wore these cute and comfortable pants from H&M, this fancy-looking shirt from Michael Kors and flats. It might be 34°C outside (that’s like 93°F) but the AC is really strong where I work, so I prefer to wear long pants and a thin shirt with a sweater if it gets too cold for me. Remember, I am from Spain… So I get really cold very easily.
6. Think about positive things in your life – My last advice to you is to remember that a bad morning is not a reflection of your life. To remind myself, I made a list of all the things I am blessed with: my family, far and close, Daniel my boyfriend, my friends that are always there for me, my pets that love me unconditionally, the job I have and everybody I got to know thanks to it, the life I have in the Unites States…
These are just six small tips to improve your morning and hopefully your day. There are always things you can do to turn negative around into positive and I firmly believe that living like that you can have a happier life.
Lots of love,
P.S.: Can you tell I’m not a photograph?